RED GLOBE LIGHT, LIQUOR GREEN

A BLOG OF CROSS REFERENCES AND BOHEMIAN DREAMS

Friday, March 11, 2011

STAN MUNRO DAVIES, PERFORMER

Stan Munro Davies remembers meeting notorious artist and writer Rosaleen Norton, "the witch of Kings Cross", at a private party, albeit briefly. Stan is a performer who started in show business at thirteen as a singer, dancer and acrobat. He arrived in Kings Cross in the very early 1960s to work at Les Girls. He just turned 70 and is still working today.

I only met Rosaleen once, at a party. It scared the pants off me so to speak. Not literally! It was after a show. so I was dressed in men's clothes, I wasn't dressed for work.

It was before Les Girls opened in '63, but the "6 O' Clock Swill" was definitely not a thing of the past (closing hours weren't extended to 10 p.m. in NSW in 1967). In those days the routine was - stand out side the Hilton with a flagon and look for a party to go to.

It was a gay get together we ended up at. I was taken there, me an innocent coal miners son! It wasn't her apartment, she was a visitor to the party if I remember correctly. She was sort of the guest of honour really. It was near the Les Girls club, in a flat down the back of some shops. I can't rememeber who else was there really... I'm sure Carlotta (the star of Les Girls cabaret show) was.

I was introduced and Rosaleen just sort of nodded to me and that was it - just a sort of hazy look of acknowledgement she gave me. I could describe it as a drugged look, if anything. I think she was pretty out of it, there was a lot of hooch around and oh yes drugs were around at that time of course. I remember she had really long fingernails Of course, she was a scary character - she looked intimidating,

Naturally she took an image, and she rode it. And she sounded intimidating too, from what I had heard - I had heard so much about her from the queens. I do remember she was reading cards for the boys that were assembled around her like flies. The queens adored her, she was a bit of a legend. And I just think she liked the odd types, and we certainly were at the time!




Transcribed from a Facebook chat interview on 15 January 2011.

© 2011 Darian Zam. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be used, reproduced, photocopied, transmitted, or stored in any retrieval system of any nature,

without the written permission of the copyright owner.